But this year is also really new for me in a lot of ways and some days, it feels like I'm starting over again as a first year teacher. I have been taken out of my comfort of teaching social studies - my long time educational love and my major in college - and pushed into taking on brand new content. Not only am I learning science as I am planning out my units, I am trying to figure out what it means to teach a child to read and how to go about doing that. As I was reflecting on the school year, I really cannot believe that eight weeks have passed already. How did that happen? I still have so much that I want to do with my students! I still have so much that I want to help them learn.
Teaching science has actually been a really fun transition. I am thankful for the exploration and inquiry that we learned about this summer in our class with Dr. Jarrett. Reading Nurturing Inquiry, exploring the idea of play, and engaging in her science centers definitely changed the way that I thought about teaching science in a hugely beneficial way. I have been able to watch my students come alive when they are given materials and expectations and then left to their own endeavors. They are so curious about the world and given the tools and the freedom, they have made discoveries about plants and animals that I did not even consider when I was learning the content and making the lesson plans. I have really been able to utilize the inquiry piece in a way that has created an exciting and engaging science class while still helping my students to learn the standard based material. Another benefit that I have seen in this and that has aided my transition is that teaching science is a lot like teaching social studies due to its content based nature so many of my old tricks work for my students.
![]() |
| Some of my boys exploring plant properties using hand lenses |
![]() |
| Xavier examines the roots of a celery plant to determine if it is a vascular or non-vascular plant |
That was a moment in the brain of Ms. Ferguson. Nuts, right?
I don't have any of those answers yet but I am working on it. I have figured out a lot of things that I don't want to do in my reading class over the last eight weeks. I have been seeking out resources and reading and working on the day to day execution of a balanced literacy program in my classroom. It's getting better and hopefully that will continue to be the case in coming weeks. It WILL be the case in coming weeks.
This week I am starting guided reading with my students. This is going to give me a much better picture into what different students on different levels need as I move forward. I am excited to push the critical thinking of my high students through middle school leveled texts. I am excited to help my struggling students to gain more and more skills that will help them to decipher the words on the pages that are causing so much confusion right now. I have no idea what this is going to look like for me, but week eight seems like a good time to get started really guiding my students to becoming better readers, not for the common core or the CRCT but for their future successes!


I'm so excited for you to start guided reading, Ms. Ferguson! I feel the same way about reading and I'm in my second year. It's such a weird, uncomfortable, and slippery subject to teach. I feel like it's unnatural for me for some reason, so I really know what you're talking about and I felt the same way last year.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about the emotional aspect of you not teaching Social Studies anymore. You LOVE Social Studies. How did I forget to help you mourn that loss?! And now you're not teaching science either. You've had a tough go of it these past months, Ms. Ferguson and give yourself the credit you deserve.
I love that you included pictures in your blog. They look so excited and engaged. I can personally atest to anytime coming into your classroom for science the kids are loving it. They're always on task, excited and seem to be mastering skills. I know the same will happen for reading.
xoxo
Kelsey, thank you for being vulnerable and sharing that the second year is not THAT easy, maybe not even easy at all. I can't imagine how hard this transition has been for you, and I really hope you know that I want to support you in whatever way I can. Even though I started to love teaching reading by the end of the year last year, I still find it one of the hardest things to teach and am struggling with it this year. Reading is so important, as we all know, so it seems a bit intimidating to be in charge of this big important task of teaching reading.
ReplyDeleteI want to continue to talk to you about book clubs because I really think that if we both figure out how to make them a meaningful part of our instruction, then our classrooms could be completely transformed into places where our kids are super passionate about reading. I am in the beginning phases of book clubs right now, so I would love to share our victories and our failures with one another so that we know that we're not alone in the struggle.
I am so proud of you, Kelsey, especially because I find science really hard to teach and I actually don't enjoy teaching it at all. I definitely need to get some advice from you to figure out how I can also incorporate what we learned from Dr. Jarrett's course into my science instruction.
Kels,
ReplyDeleteYou have taken on so many new things as a second year teacher that there is no doubt in my mind that it feels like you are starting things all over again. However, you still continue to use what you have learned as a student yourself and apply it in your classroom to make great things happen for your students. You have a TON to celebrate!
Your students look like they are extremely engaged and learning relevant things in your pictures, celebrate that! Science was new for you this year also and you are already doing great things!
Keep me posted on how book clubs go, I think it is wonderful that you are starting now with them to set them up for their future and not just because of the common core or the CRCT which is what so many teachers simply focus on.
Continue to be you and continue celebrating your successes, they are only going to multiply throughout the next few weeks!!