Reading through Freire has really brought me back to a lot of the things that I have come to believe about teaching. From the process of being completely inundated in Teach for America to jumping into my first year teaching to all of things that I have learned through this MAT program in the last two years, I have changed and struggled and been molded a lot as an educator. One of the things that I latched onto most with Freire in relation to both my practice and my project was his discussion of voice and dialogue in the classroom. Since my TICC project deals with student voice and self-advocacy, Friere's discussions about having dialogue have resonated with me through allowing dialogue in my classroom space and as a way for my student's to overcome ways their are oppressed in the school building.
According to Freire, "dialogue is the encounter between men, mediated by the world, in order to name the world (p.88)." As a teacher and through this project, I have been trying to focus more on helping my students put name and meaning to the things in their world. They have experiences from home and school that shape the ways that they view the world. The opportunities that they have, the relationships that they have formed combine with these experiences to give them the world that they call the world. Through naming their world, my students helps them to "achieve significance as human beings" (p. 88). These things can only happen with the welcoming of dialogue in classroom. It is far too often that the "banking concept of teaching" with students as containers and receptacles takes over our schools and robs our children of their ability and freedom to construct knowledge for themselves and in collaboration with their classmates (p.73).
As we have gotten into the investigation stages of our projects, I have been able to watch many of students' interests bloom as they explore community projects. They are fascinated with the research, working with one another to discuss solutions, and working on ways to present their ideas to both the adults in our building and the community as a whole. The level of their dialogue is skyrocketing as they provide feedback to one another and are given the opportunity to explore. The moments that are my favorite are those that come completely unexpected to me. They come out of authentic dialogue that the students are having in reference to their change papers where they outlined things that the school needs and changes that they would me. They come when students are discussing what they want to do to address the problem and the manners that are best to approach it. They come in their brilliant ideas that I never would have imagined. I consider the many times that I have played oppressor in the classroom as I assert my authority to regain control whether behaviorally or in academics. Yes, the students need my guidance, but they do not need me to take all of the knowledge that I have and try, with futile attempts, to pour it back into their heads.
Rereading parts of this book and reading others for the first time was a great check for me about whether I am being a "banking concept" teacher or a "problem-posing" teacher. While there is ease to falling into the pattern of sit down and listen, it is exhausting and ineffective for the teacher to be doing the learning as the children are sitting and taking it in. Moving forward in my project, I want to continue to use the mindsets of Freire to shape the way that I talk to my students, the way dialogue is used in the classroom, and the development of student voice through our TICC projects.
Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy and look forward to reading your posts because of the advantage I have in knowing your context and your students. I loved how you are thinking of this project as helping to enable students to escape the oppression in our school. YES! Total oppression central.
Your beginning on saying how Freire brought you back in many ways to the reasons you begin teaching really resonated with me. Inundated is a perfect way to describe our last two years. I feel like we are finally clearing the fog of this experience and able to not only see where we came from but also create informed views of where we want our future to lead us.
I appreciate your vulnerability in admitting that sometimes you have played the role of oppressor- oh my, how I know I have! I think we all have. In thinking about your reflection on the incredible ideas your students have brought to your space through the use of meaningful dialogue I realized how much easier these experiences seem to go. Less behavior problems, students on task and joyful. But it's so hard to get to that and just "let them go".
I can't wait to see your almost 6th graders projects!
Kelsey!
ReplyDeleteYour project is so inspiring to me and I loved that you used Freire's work to help reflect on the progress of your project. A few things stuck out to me as I was reading your post. I totally agree with you about the rich experiences that our students bring in the classroom from various aspects of their world that are often overlooked and undervalued. You took the time to craft a project that would allow your students the space and opportunity to access their voice and work towards something they cared about. I can see how dialogue is serving as the platform by which you are providing for discussion and collaborative group work in your classroom. This was one of Freire's ideas that stuck out to me as well. I completely understand those moments where you step back and challenge your perception of your role in the classroom. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and your honesty.
Tenagne
Your blog post resonated a lot with me and I think that our blog posts are somewhat similar in a way. I think, also, that we have both been re-inspired and re-energized by our second reading of Freire. I love your focus on dialogue and the connection that you have made between dialogue and your students' projects. I agree, that the most amazing parts of my day are when my students engage in meaningful dialogue and we have really powerful discussions. I have really thought a lot about power dynamics and what role I play in the conversations that my students are having. As teachers we tend to monopolize conversations and steer them in a particular reason, thereby giving the impression of free dialogue. I think that you too are critically thinking about how to release control and let your kids guide you. It's so cool to think that our kids can guide us in our thinking -- what a shift! I'm so glad that your students' opportunities to engage in authentic dialogue has given them the space to think of creative ideas for their projects. Sometimes we just have to step out of the way!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to hear more about your projects -- I haven't talked to you lately, and I would love to catch up with you to see how they are going. I'm sure I could learn something from you and possibly apply that to my classroom. I know that we have exchanged ideas successfully before, and I love doing that with you! :)
It is amazing what can come from simple dialogue between people. I often times think that dialogue is either overlooked or taken for granted but I really like how you put that at the forefront of your post. I think it is too often that our student's are silenced when really all they want is for their voice to be heard. I too have noticed through my project that my students have had no problem telling me what they care about or why it matters to them, however the challenge has come into play when they have to think about what comes next. I often wonder if they get so used to people, adults, pouring knowledge or directions into them that they forget they can make decisions too. I am really excited and looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your project!!
ReplyDelete-KM