Looking back at the month of February, it is clear that it has been a hectic time for myself personally, in my classroom and within our school. I think that one of my biggest takeaways is learning to make the most of time and be content in the chaos. Between snow days and test preparation, my instructional time has been severely limited with my students. We have missed so much time together but I also think that leaving this month, I am feeling really close and connected to a lot of my students.
I have never been good with loosening the reigns and giving up control. Teaching in an urban school, specifically within a lot of disorganization, I am constantly reminded that it is out of my hands and I have to make the most of what I've got. Contentment in the chaos extends to both my school experience and the occurrences in my classroom. We have lost so many days of instruction to weather which is completely out of anyone's control, but we have also lost so many days due to school programming and writing test preparation. It seems like every week is something new with writing workshops and practice writing tests and Black History Month celebrations. While all of these are important, some days I feel like I have barely seen my students let alone had authentic reading instruction. Within this, I have been learning about how to use the time in my classroom in the most efficient means possible. The fluff gets set aside and we are forced to spend our short time together diving into texts and really trying to make sense of them. We have been working with words of poetry and discussing how the strong imagery allows the author to make a point or create a visual in our heads. We have been discussing the importance of professional writing and how to make the most of the words on your page.
This contentment in chaos also extends to the happenings in my classroom. Chaos isn't necessarily the right word to describe it, but what I mean by this is the ease that I am beginning to feel when I let my students take on their learning and do what they need to do for themselves. Over this month, I feel like I have spent some real time growing relationships with students. I think that not seeing my students as often has really made me value the time with them to ask more questions and listen more carefully. They are doing such an amazing job at asking for what they need and I am truly working on giving them the space to take what they need. Students are taking the time to talk with one another about their writing. They are using the resources around the room with freedom. They are taking control and I am sitting back and watching (sometimes! but we're all still a work in progress, right?). Through this, I have been able to see more trusting relationships grow between me and my students and between students.
The time is often abbreviated but this month, I have improved my practice through patience with school leaders and my students as things happen that I cannot and should not try to control.
Kels! I completely agree with the chaos of February. I literally have seen my kids 12 days in February. I know the connections and close relationships you are building with your students help you remember your purpose on those "rough days." Even with the stretch of time, I can still see how committed you are at giving your students authentic experiences working with text. I want to talk with you more about your use of poetry in your lessons.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you feel now that you truly giving your students the space to engage in authentic dialogue and expression. Continue to do that because through reading your reflection I have been encouraged to continue to make that a reality in my classroom.
Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI think chaos (especially in the upper grades) often happens about this time. The letters CRCT just breeds chaos in the schools in which everyone is in prep mode and their are assessments all over the place. Often times authentic teaching gets lost. It's refreshing to hear that you have found peace in this and you are making the most of what you can control. I have realized as well that there are things that we cannot control but there things we can and we have to make the most of what we can do. Sounds like you have! :)
Kelsey!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your reflections! They truly speak to me, and what I am struggling with in the classroom.
My reflection this month, included that I feel like my students are taking advantage of the freedom that we have built since the beginning of the school year.
I am did not know what to do with this....part of me disliked the fact that students were getting up in the middle of instruction to wonder around, or simply not do as told....but reading your reflection reaffirms that it is ok to let them take control, and for me to sit back and watch....as long as there is learning, and they are engaged, and they feel as the classroom belongs for them, and it fulfills their needs...I am the one that needs to let go, and change....not them.... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POINTING THIS OUT...
Also, you are such a wonderful teacher, and i admire you so much for that.... I really want to teach 4th and 5th grade ela soon...and I have been thinking of coming to you to hear about all you did to get to the point in which you are today.... you are a true role model...
I also completely agree with the fact that sometimes we get caught up with all of our responsibilities, and the little time we have for instruction that we forget how important it is to build strong relationships with out students and to get to know them in a deeper way.....just like Ashley mentioned in her relfection...and how Ayers mentions that students are tri-dimensional.